Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Throwing Up

I believe that throwing up has nothing to do with actual sickness, but rather more of a pay back. See it started a long, long time ago when the first person actually got sick from something legit, a real virus. Then a mom spent a day or worse yet a night cleaning up vomit and that is when the cycle started. A mom (or dad or both) will clean and clean and bathe and bathe a child without complaint when they are sick, more specifically when they are throwing up. There is this real feeling, as a parent you are completely helpless, you know that there is no medicine or the right words, or a kiss in the right spot on the forehead, or a squeeze from a hug that will fix them and that is a bad feeling. Tonight, I anticipated this, I had this feeling, my feelings are not usually wrong, and just as I said to myself, I am going to watch t.v. and go to bed, I heard a cough and then I said, "That was it." and sure enough about a minute and thirty seconds later I had a three year old in my room saying, "I throwed up in my bed." at which point I hurried him to the toilet and gave him a towel to wrap up in and sat him down on his stool and said, just aim for the toilet. As luck would have it, I just washed his comforter & sheets tonight and they just finished drying...luck in my favor. :) So we did a warm bath, warm pajamas, a bowl to throw up in, and clean up began. Hopefully the throwing up is over, I just want to fix him and make him all better. I would hold him, but I am not good, not good at all with throw up. Ask Roo, he can tell you that he practically was thrown across the room today when he coughed too hard. Not really, but I did lunge forward quickly with him so he wouldn't get me if he was going to throw up. I am no good in the throw up game, never have been, it doesn't play in my favor in the classroom either. In college, oh college, I could handle it some of the time in college if I was highly intoxicated, something about smelling the alcohol on your own breath that drowns out their nasty smells and in college at that time everything is funny. Oh, I know you are in the middle of puking your guts out right now, but do you know what you did to that guy, that was so funny! I know you are promising you will never drink that much ever again, but we have to do this again! Here, use my hair tie.

Now, is it just in a dog to want to eat vomit? What is their fascination with that? I can almost understand their own, but don't get IN the blankets searching for it like we don't feed you. I will never understand this act, it is foreign to me, and absolutely disgusting!

I guess I will finish my school newsletter instead of going to bed, just in case I am needed. Of course Nick is at work tonight...but that is okay because I was letting him sleep in on Tuesday when I opened the door and said, you have to get up because Roo is throwing up and I need your help. What a way to wake up!

Perhaps us buying deli turkey meat the other day was a good thing...we'll still have turkey tomorrow. :) There is always a bright side.

2 comments:

Monkey said...

Dogs eating vomit has to be the most disgusting thing ever and it's the only thing that has ever made me want to kick a dog in the head!! Somehow, it's a dog thing.
When I was a kid I SO did not handle throwing up well---I would cry every time. My parents had the routine down to a science because I was such a puker and I slept with them for a long time. They would here that first sign of it coming and BAM! mom was up getting towels, Dad was holding my long hair back...they were like how firefighters get dressed!! Now I have a small bathroom trash can just for those occasions.

Julie is so crazy how her body is---in the 7 or 8 years total that I've known her, she has never thrown up and I do it a few times a year!! And fortunately for her in those years she's never even been the kind of sick where you feel like you need to throw up to feel better. She's a lucky girl.

I don't do people throw up well at all, but I'm the one who has to clean the dog's up---she will totally gag and that makes it worse for me, so I just do it so she can go far away! :)

I hope Rhino feels much better today!

Sarah B. B. said...

Poor Rhino - I hope it passed quickly. Throw up is never fun. I handled it okay at school, though there are a couple of stories (including one involving a computer keyboard) that can really make people turn green if I tell them. :) And I have to disagree about college - I didn't handle it well then at all - I actually do better now - weird, huh? I hope y'all have a great weekend. :)