We have a kid in our school and they have missed 10 days out of 26 days. One day I noticed that they weren't at school and I asked my parapro to count up how many days they had been out...7, SEVEN days I said? That is crazy! So I went to my director and said, I have a kid that has been out 7 days, which then led to 8. Then yesterday was 9 because they came in too late for it to count as being present and there was a heart to heart meeting with the mom and this morning they weren't present...so I got a call, they'll be here just a little late. Then about an hour later I get this call, "----- is here, they are here to withdraw her." Me, "Really? Okay.", hang up bummed. There is A LOT to this story A LOT one of those, this is a great kid in a bad situation and you are about to lose touch with it. :( That is the part of teaching that sucks, you get attached and connected emotionally involved and then in these situations you are vested and then BAM it is taken away from you. It is like being 2 and all of the sudden someone comes and takes your very favorite blanket/stuffed animal/Spiderman costume. So, I just have to pray for that person and that situation and leave it at that.
A YES moment! I missed all the new S.S. training last year by not being in a public school, so I am just going by the state created curriculum map, where focus/unit 1 says you must teach certain concepts so students can make connections throughout the rest of the year. So yesterday we talked about ideals & beliefs and then today conflict & change. (It all ties together) I tried to think about how I would teach conflict other than using this example: conflict is when you and your friend or brother or sister fight. I had an idea and hoped it would work. I gave everyone a hunk of Play-Doh and told them to make something, then when they were done I made everyone move to one side of the room, I went by and ruined everyone's work. The kids were none to happy with me, but I said we have a conflict, blah, blah, blah. We were able to discuss all four points after all of that then EVERY SINGLE kid could tell me what conflict was how conflict caused change (negative or positive) and most were able to tie it together to ideals & beliefs...that made this morning's drama all worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment