Monday, February 7, 2011

A Counter Full of...

Last weekend, I had a funny moment. I had to clean out a cabinet to make room for all my cake decorating stuff. You know you are really getting into something when you need a cabinet to hold it all. We have two smaller cabinets above our stove, one is now the home to all things for cake decorating. The bottom parts of these cabinets have always been used they hold oils, Crisco, spray oil, hand held mixer, food chopper, and flour sifter. The top part has always been used to hold the shot glasses....many of them.

I had a counter full of shot glasses, there were very dusty from being up in the cabinet for almost eight years with little to no use. I washed them all after letting them soak in very hot water. It was odd to sit there and wash them, each one had a distinct memory to it. Some had really funny stories, like yelling, "Hooters, Hooters, Hooters!" before taking a shot out of the Hooters shot glass. The one I got from Notre Dame on a whirlwind trip to ND for a football game, where I actually became jealous of their "Barnes & Noble" style bookstore. A Clemson shot glass that was never once used, but still holds precious dating memories with Nick. It was crazy to touch & feel each one again. I even have some that my Great Grandma Robins gave me and some that my Grandma Correll gave to me too. The end result? They didn't go back into the cabinet, they are in a bag with the yard sale items waiting to be sold. Now, a few I did hold on to because they really do have great memories attached. I am not a sentimental person, so for me to actually hold on to something is pretty big.

Later that day I had a counter full of cupcakes, a cake, and about five pounds of icing. Then it hit me all of the sudden, in one day, just one day, I had a counter full of who I once was and now I have a counter full of who I am today. Who knew a kitchen counter could hold so much?

No comments: