Today, I had to laugh because as I was talking to parent this was said:
Me: He had a hard time during centers today, but it is the first week, he will learn what I expect.
Parent: Centers?
Me: We will do centers every Wednesday because our day is too choppy and it is a good way to learn, have fun, and still get things accomplished.
Parent: He has never done centers before. At his old school they were very structured, worksheet after worksheet, here is your work do it. He is used to structure.
Me: He will adjust, I am not that kind of teacher, I don't use a ton of worksheets if I can help it.
Parent: Oh no, I didn't mean you weren't structured I am just saying, he is used to a lot of structure.
Me: It isn't a big deal he will adjust to my teaching style quickly.
Parent: Oh, that has all come out wrong, I don't mean to imply you aren't structured, he just has never done a center before.
Me: I have no doubt what you meant, I just want you to know that you may be disappointed when you aren't handed a folder full of worksheets, but I promise he is in a structured learning environment.
Parent: He loves it here! I feel good about our move!
So, I think it is funny when parents think they have offended you, but really you are on the same page but they are all caught up in what they said thinking they hurt your feelings but really you are saying the same things...just in different words. I was trying to let her know she didn't hurt my feelings and that her son would still get a quality education. I don't know why but it was really funny to me. The same parent told me that her son isn't used to teacher aides and he was very confused about why I told them to do so much and my aide never told them to do anything. He really likes the teacher aide. (Who wouldn't?)
It has been a good start I look forward to the rest of the year.
1 comment:
LOVE your new picture up top--made me smile.
:)
Post a Comment