So you have to love when you go to pick up your three year old, who is staying in the staff daycare for maybe the third time this school year with new people who kind of know him, tell you that he said, "What the hell?" not once but twice. Oh, a staff daycare in a church makes this story even better. A staff daycare, in a church, with a girl that on that very same day accepted the babysitting position you offered her, which will include watching that very same, "What the hell?" three year old. Nice! I know my face said it all, that deer caught in the headlights look, which she said, I know he didn't hear that from you, I was like you are right he didn't! Now his dad, maybe, but me, no way, atleast not in front of him. :) So I said, "I don't know where he would get that!" and she said, "He said he heard it in the Spiderman movie." to which I said, "You just told me more information than you realize."
Yes, the Spiderman movie, all of them, isn't there three? My three year old has been able to watch these movies after repeated requests for him not to watch them at Nick's stepmom's house. This is the same lady that told my mom, "It doesn't matter what Nathan says, Nanny over rules dad." (She was talking about Nick's brother & his son-he didn't want his kid going down the slide at Roo's party). So, does it surprise me that after the last few requests I have said for him not to watch it that he was allowed to watch it? No, but does it make me angry? Yes, does it anger me even more that they allowed him to watch the Hulk movie, that Nick said is very violent? Yes, what do I plan on doing about it? Not sure yet, but it will involve a long conversation including the words, "outright disrespect."
See the use of the period in the quotation mark right there, I taught that to my third graders, and I forgot that I taught them that and we were reviewing the other day and I said, "Why is that sentence wrong?" -they were editing-and three kids at once bust out, "Because the period isn't inside the quotation marks, and it must be inside to be correct." At which point I thought, hell yeah, I mean that's right! :)
5 comments:
i am so so glad i don't have to deal with this with my parents...if anything, they are much less inclined to give in with our baby :-)
*sigh* so sorry you have to set the boundaries.
and i found this article when i was trying to figure out how to explain the whole punctuation and quotation mark relationship stuff to someone. (which, by the way, i thought would be easy to explain because i was an english major and then i realized i had NO IDEA how to explain it.)
http://grammartips.homestead.com/inside.html
i also have this issue with parenthesis and punctuation. glad to see my degree is so useful! ha!
oh, and i also have this issue with
oops...clearly have issues with half-finished duplicate sentences :-)
What can you say! Parents are hard to deal with, but trust me it has been equally difficult not having any. This too shall pass!
And
"What the hell" is something I either think or say every day!!! Now if he'd of said,"What the f..." then you should get a bar of soap and wash his mouth out.
I say both "what the hell?!" and "what the F**K?!" relatively frequently! Your in-laws are wrong for that though! Glad he didn't say "HELLS YEAH!" after a night with me...then we would have known I was the guilty party! :) :)
Post a Comment